Monday, September 1, 2008

When Not Writing


As writers we are often told that we need to sacrifice some things in order to make time for writing. That is true, but no one can write all the time. So what do you do when you aren't writing? Reading would be next on the list for all of us, I think. If there's any time left over after that, what do you like to do?

Crafts are one way I relax after a long day. I've recently started learning to make soap. I use the pre-made "melt and pour base." This method allows for maximum creativity with minimum skill. I also crochet. My Grandmother taught me this skill when I was a child. I had all but forgotten how to crochet until a few years ago when I took it up again. I'm getting fairly good at simple projects and at this point I have no aspirations to conquer more complicated patterns. That would require far too much concentration. The easy projects are great for relaxing while watching TV.

Lately I've become interested in Japanese Amagurumi,or the creation of small, cute animals, dolls and even objects. My favorite pattern book is Amagurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet by by Ana Paula Rimoli. You can visit her etsy.com shop here.

Sometimes my writing seeps over into my leisure time, as you can see from this photo of my Orchard Hill mascots, Adam and Eve. The pattern is from Amigurumi World.

What do you like to do when you are not reading or writing?


Kara Lynn Russell
karalynnrussell.googlepages.com
orchardhill.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Rose said...

Kara,

Great post! I've been caught telling people that they need hobbies, lately. My leisure activities would be sewing, embroidery and quilting. As of late, I've been embroidering quilt blocks. I just finished a Christmas (Santa's)lap quilt. I put the top together and a girl I went to school with runs a quilting business and I let her use her imagination and quilt it together. She NEVER disappoints me!

My project right now, is a state quilt. I'm embroidering blocks with the states outline, flower & bird on them. I'm not too far, only 16 state blocks are finished!

Rose

Sarita Leone said...

I love your apples! They are too adorable.

I do a lot of sewing and quilting, and I garden. I agree with you; hobbies are a good thing. Great post!