Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Christmas Grouch

'Twas the night before Christmas and out slipped the Grouch
To search each crevice in each family's house.
With a plan to spoil the season's good cheer,
He whispered grumblings in everyone's ear.

He devised and schemed in evil mirth
To steal Christmas away from all the earth.
He approached the Creator to get permission.
If the Grouch won his debate, he would set off on his mission.

He filed a complaint and prepared his case,
Stated his arguments, and started to pace,
To and fro in front of God's Throne,
His raspy voice a wearisome drone.

God granted his request, but it would quickly be stayed
If the Grouch found just one who gave thanks while he prayed.
Smirking and sneering, he left with a nod
And laughed at how easy it was to fool God.

Not a moment to waste, he sped through the city
Invaded each home, decorated so pretty.
He lurked in the shadows and watched as each said,
"I am so weary. I must get to bed."

Folks were too busy, so much on each mind
That time with the Father was so hard to find.
The Grouch slinked through each bedroom delighted, amazed.
Not one took time to offer up praise.

Dauntless and smug, He boasted to himself,
"My case has been won, and with so much time left.
One more stop and it will be in the bag,
Then I will bombard heaven to gloat and to brag."

He glided through town on that cold winter's night
Wait! A movement through a window caught the Grouch's sight.
He slithered inside. Oh what could this be?
A tiny child, hands clasped, down on his knees?

Thanking the Father for Jesus' birth,
Saying, "Good will to all and peace on the earth."
As the child whispered, "God bless everyone,"
The Grouch knew his cas would never be won.

Enraged and furious, he yanked out his hair,
Stamped away shrieking, "It's not fair! It's not fair!"
The Creator smiled down, said, "You do not understand.
Salvation exists because Christmas began.

"I longed to show each soul its true worth
So Jesus was born on desolate earth.
And as a result of My gift from above,
Christmas is eternal, and so is My love."

Authors note: I hope you enjoyed it. Five years ago--two weeks before Christmas--I awoke with the first two stanzas on my mind. As the day lengthened, so did the poem.

7 comments:

Kara Lynn Russell said...

Larean,
I love this! It really brightened my day. Thanks,
Kara

Sharon Donovan said...

Beautiful Laurean...and so very well written! I love it.
Sharon

Laurean Brooks said...

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the poem. The words kept coming on that day five years ago. I remember it was Sunday morning two weeks before Christmas. I wrote down the first two stanzas. During church service, more words came.I scribbled on the back of my church bulletin. By four o'clock that afternoon, I had the entire poem.

World of Poetry wanted me to donate it to them to record on a CD along with other Christmas poetry. Then they would sell the CD to me, and everyone else.

I told them I would sell for $200. Funny thing...I never heard from them again. LOL Wonder what happened?

I know...that wasn't nice. But don't you get tired of organizations who attempt to steal you blind?

apple blossom said...

I like that. Thanks for sharing

ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Cute, cute LOL!
PamT

Rose said...

Laurean,

Your poem is wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Gives us something to think about when the holiday grumbles start!

Rose

Laurean Brooks said...

So true, Rose. Now...if only I had it conquered. LoL