Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

My name is Sharon Donovan and I am a new White Rose author. Today is my turn to blog. Hmm. I feel like it’s the first day of school where we all had to stand up and spin a tale about our summer vacation. Well it isn’t the end of summer—and my school days are long behind me. But I guess some old habits die hard. When I’m asked to talk about myself, those old butterflies still stir in the pit of my stomach. But here goes.

I live in a small town in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. When I was six years old, I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic. With all the devastating complications associated with this disease, I grew up with an intense fear of losing my vision. And eight years ago, after a long bitter bout with progressive blindness, my worst nightmare became a reality.

Unable to cope, I entered a rehabilitation program for the blind and visually impaired. This was a bitter pill to swallow. Prior to losing my sight, I worked as a legal secretary in the Family Division of the Court of Common Pleas. But my true passion was art. I spent my weekends painting picturesque scenery, losing myself in the peaceful tranquility of another place and time.
Devastated and despondent when I could no longer paint, my spirit died. I had reached rock bottom and had to pull myself up by the boot strings. I had to find a reason to live, something to make my life worth while. And through my faith and the support of family and friends, I learned to accept my fate. Thanks to modern technology, I use a computer with adaptive software which converts text to synthesized speech.

Needing something to do with my time, I went to the local college for medical transcription. But my heart wasn’t in it. It did nothing to stir the creative muse in me. But when I started taking writing classes, hope soared for the first time in a long time. My prayers were answered. From the cobwebs of my mind, my creative muse resurrected. Today, instead of painting my pictures on canvas, I paint my pictures with words.

My very first white rosette goes on sale January 7th. Touched by an Angel is special to me because angels play a significant role in my life. I feel their presence constantly, whether it’s the gentle flutter of a butterfly’s wing, a songbird tweeting in a tree, or the sweet scent of roses in a garden. Angels sprinkle hope and blessings. I have two other White Rosettes coming to The Wild Rose Press in February and March. I hope you feel the presence of angels when you read them.

Love and blessings for 2009!
Sharon Donovan
http://www.sharonadonovan.com/
sharonad@comcast.net

TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL
COMING TO THE WILD ROSE PRESS
JANUARY 7, 2009

THE CLADDAGH RING
COMING FROM THE WILD ROSE PRESS
FEBRUARY 25, 2009

LASTING LOVE
COMING FROM THE WILD ROSE PRESS
MARCH 18, 2009

4 comments:

Kara Lynn Russell said...

Sharon,
Thank you for sharing your story. I can't imagine what it would like to deal with such a devastating loss. You are truly a woman of faith and courage. Best wishes on your upcoming releases.
Kara

Laurean Brooks said...

Sharon,

I predict that someday you will be known as "The Author Who Paints With Words."

What a beautiful story. Your words inspires hope for those who might otherwise give up. I pray that I would be that strong under such tough circumstances.

I am so glad to claim you as my friend. May God continue to richly bless you. (And I know He will.)

Wendy Davy said...

Sharon,

Thanks for opening up to us, and sharing who you are. I'm impressed with your tenacity, and can only imagine what your life is like. Congratulations on your releases!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Wow Sharon. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Blessings to you,
Cami