Monday, June 15, 2009

Susan Boyle is still my hero.....

Susan Boyle is still my hero. Er-heroine. The typical underdog. The classic fish out of water. For those of you who haven’t heard of her, you must be living under a rock. The same rock I was living under until my deadline a few days ago. I must admit, I was skeptical, like most of the audience when she stepped on that stage for the first time. I mean, how could a 47 year old woman long past the age when most stars are discovered possibly make it even though I liked her spunk and attitude?

Especially singing I Dreamed A Dream. I’ve sung that song, people. It isn’t easy. The vocal range required is not for the feint of heart or voice. I must say I was ready to plug my ears at six o’clock that morning when my husband turned to me. “Hey, Brian sent this to us. Watch this.”

Ready to leave the office to refill my already full coffee cup, I waited as the music started to play. (I get uncomfortable watching people in potentially painful or awkward situations.) I held my breath when Susan opened her mouth to sing. And there it was. That first note, so pure and sweet. I sat back in my computer chair, stunned at the exquisite voice. I know my mouth dropped open. How about yours?

Watching Simon’s Cowels’ face was also priceless. For a man who’s sarcasm and critiques are as sharp as a butcher’s knife, to see him stunned made my morning. (even though I’m secretly in love with him) I can see it now in a future credit card commercial. And seeing the other judges and the audience respond with such enthusiasm was awe-inspiring.

Go Susan.

I Dreamed a Dream, too.

To become a writer.

To fulfill that dream, I didn’t have to go up on stage and pour my heart out through my voice, which would probably make most of you happy. No, I wrote books about hope and love and second chances and poured my heart out through my characters.

But the tigers come at night.

They do in the form of rejections or bad reviews or partners that don’t support you or editors that don’t get your work.

As they tear your hope apart.

Family members, children, work, household tasks that never seem to get done. Professional jealousy, or any other number of reasons that keep you from living your dream. Stop the madness.

Did Susan let the naysayers and the other non-believers keep her from living her dream? No. I didn't and neither should you. She triumphed at the end and so did I with a publishing contract. So can you. The underdog has come out the top dog. (I wish she would have won the contest, but she won our hearts) The fish out of water dove right in and made herself right at home.

Blessings,

Kim Watters

2 comments:

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Lovely post, Kim.

I dreamed the same dream as you - and yes, those tigers do come out and rip the dream to shreds (along with our hearts)...but they have not managed to kill that dream -yet.

Been close a time or two (especially today) but still hanging by a heartbeat.

Good luck and God's blessings!

PamT

Laurean Brooks said...

Thanks, Kim,

Your post touched everything issue I've had with writing. I'm glad I'm not alone. LOL.

We rarely watch American Idol, so I didn't know about Susan Boyle. Would have loved to heard her sing and to see Simon's expression.

He does have a certain boyish appeal even if he can be cruel.