Monday, July 6, 2009

Murder and Romance?



I'm often asked how can you write a Christian romance and a murder mystery and put them both in the same book? Honestly, I never really thought about it until the first time I was asked.

The truth of the matter is that romance has always been my first love, a few years ago I discovered cozy mysteries. Naturally I wanted to combine both my reading passions.

I'm not sure you're interested in the "how" I do it, but I think I'll share anyway.
1. I come up with two people that I want to fall in love.
2. I give them a murder to solve.
3. I make one of them, either the hero or the heroine, the major suspect or someone close to them the suspect.
4. Then I have the other one want to solve the murder to keep the hero or heroine out of jail or their family member.
5. In the case of Claire Parker in Lethal Lasagna, she wanted to clear her own name and discover who murdered her best friend. The hero, Brandon meets Claire and wants to help her. Is it love at first sight? maybe, maybe not.
6. Hero and Heroine work together to solve the mystery and in the process fall in love.

That's how I do it.

I'm curious, how many of you readers like to read romance with a hint of mystery in them?

17 comments:

Gina Conroy said...

I prefer a mystery with a hint of romance. Thanks for sharing how you come up with yours!

Debby Mayne said...

Interesting process, Rhonda. It obviously works! Congrats on your book!

Rhonda Gibson said...

Thanks Gina and Debby!

Jphillips1107 said...

I love the mystery and romance. It makes the book so much more interesting. You aren't setting around watching 2 people dance around each other, you are setting around watching to people find each other all the while trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I just love it.

Linda said...

I love it. It gives me the best of both worlds. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I loved the mystery, but it is always nice to have a little romance included. I realy enjoy your style of writing.
I look forward to your next book.

Patricia M.

Edna said...

I got an invite on my email asking for me to leave a comment so here I am, I need you to look at my blog also, http://ednasinterestandcrafts.blogspot.com/

I love books and love to read would love to have one of yours.
May God bless

mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

Chaos-Jamie said...

If I'm reading romance, I need a hint of SOMETHING else in it. But no suspense, thankyouverymuch. I like to sleep, too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing how you come up with your Romantic Mysteries, Rhonda! Congrats on your new book!!!

Beth Loughner said...

Rhonda, I love to read and write mysteries. I especially like the mix of romance-mystery-humor. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. Congratulations on your book.

Beth

Rhonda Gibson said...

Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate you posting and telling me what you like to read!

squiresj said...

Okey - you need the comments. I was told Cozy mystery were pulled. So was surprised to read about your lasagna book. I would love to read and review it. I wrote the publisher and complained because they did not do enough to promote them. I have lots of people who enjoyed them.
God meet your needs and annoint and bless you and lead you.
jrs362(at)hotmail(dot)

CatMom said...

Thanks for sharing your process, Rhonda! I'm always interested in what is "behind" an author's book, and how the author went about preparing to write that story. ~ Blessings as keep writing for the Lord, Patti Jo :)

CatMom said...

OOOPS! My last line was supposed to say: Blessings as YOU keep writing for the Lord ~ I think my eyes are telling me it's time for bed, LOL!! ~ Patti Jo ~ zzzzzzz

Eileen Key said...

What a fun title! Since I write cozies, I love 'em. Just a dash of romance to keep the characters interesting. Good post! Look forward to the read.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Although I don't read mysteries I like your process.

I have nothing against them mind you, but usually figure out whodunnit within a few pages/chapters so there is no surprise for me at the end LOL

Always been that way - but I DO enjoy a good romance!

Here's praying multiple blessings on your writing.

PamT

Anonymous said...

I love murder and romance. This book is loaded with lots of suspence. keeps you interested all the way to the end