Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Christianity - It's A Topic Worth Pondering



Hello, WRiB blog followers! I hope you're finding the time and ability to enjoy the blessings of this Easter season. Do you savor the rebirth of the world around us as spring quite literally erupts? Do you take joy in the long days and lazy nights as, at long last, spring and summer take hold following winter's term?

This past weekend, as my DH and I prepared our home (and hearts!) for a college graduation party for our daughter, I got to thinking. I'm a child of ritual, and, to a degree, there's comfort in that truth, and in the heartbeat of nature's timeless cycle.

For example, before I go to bed each night, I have my own little cycle, or routine. 1. I pray and, if so inspired, journal in my 'Book of Thanks." 2. I read the day's passage from "Daily Word." 3. I read the day's passage from "Living Faith." 4. I read from my most current TBR. 5. At long last, I doze off.

A couple nights ago, the readings from "Living Faith" came to me from the Acts of the Apostles, and it hit me hard. It speaks to the durability of Christianity, and it's one of my favorites:

‘If this endeavor is of human origin, it will destroy itself. But if it comes from God, you will not be able to destroy it. In fact, you may find yourselves fighting against God.’ (Acts 5:34-42 NIV)

The verses bear enormous impact on all of us as believers, and is, without doubt, one of the most underrated, yet powerful words to be found in the Bible.

The truth is this: Christianity is 2000+ years strong - and came to be in an age far removed from any form of mass communication. Yet, to this day, it powers, connects, challenges and enlightens so many millions, offering love and hope to those who seek. Believer or not, the fact remains: Something "happened" all those thousands of Easter’s ago.

If not, Christianity wouldn’t have survived for long following Christ’s death on the cross.

Throughout the ages, many false prophets performed powerful deeds, and spoke powerful words, but their followers soon died out. That never happened with Christianity. Instead, followers of Jesus became stronger. Think about that! What made a group of people (who were so scared they denied Christ and locked themselves in an upper room for days) go out into the world and enthusiastically proclaim the Gospel – knowing they were putting themselves in grave danger?

The Apostles were willing to risk death by gruesome meas. You don’t do that just to preserve someone’s “reputation.”

These were the actual first-hand witnesses to Christ’s life, death and resurrection. They didn’t back down. They all suffered and died for the Truth, yet they spread the gospel like holy wildfire! That is not only powerful, it transformed the world.

When I find myself frustrated by world events, and the culture in which we live, I keep this verse handy . While we live in times that seems to go against many of Christ’s teachings, we already know the end of the story. We already rest sure in the knowledge of God’s mercy, grace, guidance and love.

Is there any greater gift to consider as we continue to travel the resurrection path?

Blessings, everyone!


Marianne Evans

10 comments:

Rita Garcia said...

Beautiful blog!

I love this line, 'We already rest sure in the knowledge of God’s mercy, grace, guidance and love."
Thanks for the inspiration! Rita

Marianne Evans said...

Rita, thanks so much for your kindness and support!! Deeply appreciated. :-) I find it's so easy to get frustrated and anxious when we absorb world and cultural developments - but that's when I force myself to remember - It's all going to be Good - because it's all going to be God. Blessings!

Delia Latham said...

Great post, Marianne! Funny, isn't it, how we each are impacted by something different in the same article? Although I love the phrase Rita mentioned, what caught me was the simple statement: Something "happened" all those thousands of Easters ago.

We get into such a grind with traditional celebrations that sometimes we forget their roots. What a joy to remember that Easter is not just another holiday. Something really, truly, amazingly, and miraculously HAPPENED that first Easter Sunday, and it's still echoing down through the ages!

Beautiful piece, Marianne. Thank you!

Marianne Evans said...

Thanks, Delia ~ yeah, isn't it amazing to consider? That's my answer to those who want to get "scientific" and "practical" about matters of faith. Something happened that day. A miracle occurred. If not, there's no way Christianity could have survived. Not in that day and age, and not with what the early disciples endured! Blessings to you, my friend!

Carol Ann said...

Powerful inspiration in this blog, Marianne. Imagine, no mass communication, yet the message spread throughout the world and throughout the ages...and continues to do so. God is hard at work every day rounding up his lost sheep. Thanks for the beautiful post.

Donna B said...

Thank you, Marianne, what a wonderful blog. I love your closing line about following the resurrection path. Isn't that the truth, and oh so hard to watch friends and family who are not willing to even step on that path. I love sharing the faith in this group. My church family is wonderful, but so is this family.

Thank you all for sharing your love of Christ.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Sorry I missed this post yesterday - lovely Marianne!

The truth of God's faithfullness never ceases to amaze me.
PamT

Marianne Evans said...

Carol, Donna & Pam, thank you so much for taking the time to visit, and respond! I believe what got me thinking about the topic is the fact that our technology-driven society is so bent on being able to 'disclaim' matters of faith - that having an answer to that independent, scientific line of thinking would come in handy - as a believer and as one who wants to share Christ's love with others! :-) Blessings!!!

Robin Bayne said...

Very nice post : )

Marianne Evans said...

Thank you for stopping by, Robin!! I appreciate your kind words!!