Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Guest Blogger...A Penchant for Pendulums


Hello, my husband, Glenn Carter, wrote something that I enjoyed and wanted to share with you all.This is what he said,

"Do you like to watch pendulums? They can be fun to watch and rather mesmerizing. Yet I must admit that sometimes after watching one for a while I just want to grab it and make it stay “in the middle”.

I was reminded last week about pendulums in our local department store. In recent times as you enter stores at this time of the year you are greeted with a very bland, generic, “Happy Holidays”. But last week as I walked through the front entrance, there in front of me was a great big colorful sign with the words “Merry Christmas” emblazoned across it. Good for them I thought. As I made my way through the store more and more signs came to my attention which had the words “Merry Christmas”. In one section there were signs about every three feet with the words, you guessed it, “Merry Christmas”. Wow, the pendulum has swung the other way, I thought. It was then that it occurred to me that these signs are not about Christmas at all. They are a marketing technique. If it is in vogue to say “Happy Holidays” great! If “Merry Christmas” fits the bill this year, wonderful! The only problem is that with all of these pendulum swings the middle gets left out.

“What is the middle?” you ask. The middle is what Christmas is really all about. It is not about marketing or shopping. It isn’t even really about home and family or exchanging gifts with one another, though these have come to be an integral part of the celebration. The middle is Jesus Christ becoming human flesh and making His dwelling among us. It is about His love for us that is so great that He was willing to endure the cruelties of this world so that we could enjoy the perfection of heaven.

Don’t get me wrong. I believe we should wish people a “Merry Christmas” with a smile. However, I also believe that we who know and love Jesus are responsible to speak up as to why Christmas is “merry” regardless of the economy or our own personal circumstances. The One who came to destroy Darkness has broken it in our hearts!"

Something to think about, huh? In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving, White Rose readers!

4 comments:

Robin Bayne said...

Wonderful post!

Marianne Evans said...

Great job as always, JoAnn. Wonderful food for thought. Have a blessed and awesome Thanksgiving!

Delia Latham said...

Beautiful, timely message!

Donna B said...

Wonderful post, JoAnn. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving as we all have so much to give thanks for - and yes, a very Merry Christmas celebrating the birth of our Lord!