Monday, July 6, 2009
I'm often asked how can you write a Christian romance and a murder mystery and put them both in the same book? Honestly, I never really thought about it until the first time I was asked.
The truth of the matter is that romance has always been my first love, a few years ago I discovered cozy mysteries. Naturally I wanted to combine both my reading passions.
I'm not sure you're interested in the "how" I do it, but I think I'll share anyway.
1. I come up with two people that I want to fall in love.
2. I give them a murder to solve.
3. I make one of them, either the hero or the heroine, the major suspect or someone close to them the suspect.
4. Then I have the other one want to solve the murder to keep the hero or heroine out of jail or their family member.
5. In the case of Claire Parker in Lethal Lasagna, she wanted to clear her own name and discover who murdered her best friend. The hero, Brandon meets Claire and wants to help her. Is it love at first sight? maybe, maybe not.
6. Hero and Heroine work together to solve the mystery and in the process fall in love.
That's how I do it.
I'm curious, how many of you readers like to read romance with a hint of mystery in them?