Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Betsy Ann St. Amant has one full length novel and two short stories with White Rose Publishing. In addition, this month her first Steeple Hill Love Inspired book, Return to Love was released. I recently had a chance to talk with her about her writing and I'd love to share Betsy Ann's responses with you.
1. Here's the blurb from your new release Return to Love - "I'm Not The Man I Used To Be!" If only Gracie Broussard could believe that! Years ago, Carter Alexander broke her heart and betrayed her. Now, just when she needs him most, he's back—asking her to believe he's changed. But this time, it's not just Gracie who'll be hurt if he disappears. A penguin keeper, Gracie urgently needs to find a new home for her beloved birds. Carter is the only one who can help. He promises that she can trust him, that he's not the rebel he once was. And that he needs Gracie as much as her birds do.
Please tell us a little about Return to Love.
Of course! RETURN TO LOVE is a contemporary romance set in New Orleans. The heroine, Gracie, works at the Aquarium of the Americas as a penguin keeper. She is hosting a fundraiser gala to expand the penguin exhibit to house homeless birds from upstate, but meets disaster at every turn. Her only hope of a successful event rests on her childhood-best friend, Carter, who she has never been able to fully trust. He's an ex musician and the man who broke her heart. Will this mismatched couple find their way back to friendship--or even to love?
2. How did you research your heroine's unusual job?
I simply called the Aquarium, and spoke with several people on the phone and through email until I had all my questions answered. Tom Dyer, the current penguin keeper, was exceptionally helpful and even let me use the real names of the current penguins residing there now! It was very fun. He is very good at his job!
3. What are you working on now?
I am steadily working on my newest contracted novel with Steeple Hill, entitled RODEO SWEETHEART, which is set for an April 2010 release. My deadline is rapidly approaching...yikes! Gotta keep at it!
4. How has your life changed since becoming a published author?
I'm busier, but that's a good thing! It's taught me balance - working, being a mommy and wife and housekeeper and writer. Lots of hats there! It's also taught me to loosen up a bit and prioritize things. Laundry isn't as important as family time or writing time. That's been hard for a Type A like me but God is working on me daily! =)
5. Tell us a little about the other great work in your life - your daughter Audrey.
Awww, my favorite topic!! She just had her first birthday and continues to be the light of my life. I recently was able to quit my day job and stay home to be a full time mommy and author, and I am so super blessed! God provided big time. And kudos to my generous hubby for making this happen! Our hero!
Betsy Ann, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions!
I recently finished Return to Love and it was great! Lots of conflict, characters you can really care about and a fun setting. What more can you ask for? I highly recommend it.
Posted by Kara Lynn Russell at 6:41 PM