Thursday, November 8, 2007

Rose's Blessings



Since we asked you to share three blessing with us this Thanksgiving season, I thought it only fair to share three of mine.

1) That I live a country where I’m free to worship as I choose.
2) My family and friends
3) My health

My excerpt that’s posted below, talks about a family
tradition that the hero wants to share with the heroine. All families have traditions that are passed down, like a favorite recipe, my grandma’s homemade rolls, or an activity, like watching a big game on television. Some of my families traditions, I took for granted growing up and looking back, I realize they were blessings in disguise.

May all your traditions, both old and new, be blessing to you this Thanksgiving holiday.

Rose

Excerpt: Through The Eyes of Love

“I bought my tree from the lot beside the gas station.” Mike emptied a sugar packet into his cup. He stirred his coffee. “I thought maybe we could decorate our trees together.”

Audra shifted in the diner booth. “I don’t put up a tree.”

Mike looked at her as if she were from outer space. “Why not?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “No reason to I guess.” She sipped her coffee. “The only decorating I do is in the office and from what the critics tell me this year, I didn’t do a good job of that.”

Mike grinned. “Begin a tradition and start this year.”

Audra wrinkled her nose. “I don’t think so.”

“If I buy the tree will you put it up?”

“No, there is no reason for me to have a tree.” Audra folded her arms on the table.

“You need somewhere to put your gifts. It wouldn’t have to be big.” Mike leaned close and flashed his most persuasive smile.

“Two gifts sent from my mom doesn’t necessitate a tree.”

“Will you at least help me decorate my side of the duplex?”

Audra waited until the waitress topped off their cups to answer. “I suppose I …”

“Good. My family had a tradition of doing something special each Sunday of the Advent. Since I can’t go home, I thought, if you didn’t mind that you and I could do those things.”

Audra outstretched her forearms laying her palms flat on the table. “I know you miss your family so I’ll do your Advent activities. I doubt if it’ll be as special for two reasons. One I don’t know what I’m doing and two I’m not your family.”

Mike stopped stirring his coffee and left the spoon in his cup. He covered both of Audra’s hands with his. “I’d like you to be.”

Audra felt the depth of his gaze clear to the bottom of her heart. For a few moments she forgot they were in a café surrounded by people. Her mind began to rationalize the meaning behind his words but her heart knew what he meant.

Someone cleared her throat. Audra turned to find Hap and Cara standing beside their booth.

“For the second time, can we join you?” Cara asked.

1 comment:

Sarita Leone said...

Great excerpt! I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing. :)