Thursday, December 4, 2008

Kids, family and Christmas.

Ah, Christmas. In the media hype of giving that special gift, I feel that the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ, is often overlooked. He the reason for the season and I make sure my children know it. Yes, I let them believe in the magic of Santa Claus, but I also stress the importance of His birth. When it comes to gift giving, I also stress the 'it's better to give than receive' mantra, and that it's important to pick the right thing. The three wise men gave Jesus meaningful things. I make sure my children do the same with their aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and godparents. My children make their gifts for the family, which makes it personable and from the heart. Yes, it takes time, but anybody can go to the store and pick something out. My kids love the creative process and effort involved and love to hand out the gifts themselves. Just as Jesus shows His love for us every day, each time a family member looks at that smudged handprint on the side of their coffee cup, or that crazily hand-painted ornament on the tree, they know they are loved and blessed with the best gift of all.

1 comment:

Kara Lynn Russell said...

Kim, I used to do that with my kids when they were younger. They're all teens now and way too cool for that. Except this Sunday my daughters and I are getting together with my Mom to bake cookies. It's good to do something for Christmas besides shop.